Getting started in the Optimist Fleet is an exciting time as for many it is the starting point for a lifetime of enjoyment in the sport of sailing.
It is critical to proceed at the sailor’s speed with learning, keeping the focus on enjoyment. The Optimist is an incredibly stable and robust boat in a variety of conditions, so it is perfect for the gradual development of sailors’ confidence and skills.
Here are some resources for you to download.
Not registered with NZIODA yet?
Click here to register and receive your NZIODA Handbook. “It all starts here!” A Guide for New Optimist Parents – Learn to Race and Green Fleets” is full of information and top tips, including:
- essential info of the Optimist class
- the important organisations and governing bodies who take care of racing here and globally
- how the class is structured
- why Green Fleet racing is so beneficial for young people
- why Optimist sailing is so popular in New Zealand and around the world
- advice on the practical and technical side of event racing