The Green Fleet is designed for less experienced Optimist sailors to develop their skills in fleet racing.
Most clubs around New Zealand will offer this option as a first taste of racing in the Optimist class as well as a chance to enjoy destination sails and make like-minded friends. Sailors who are registered with NZIODA and their club as Green Fleet Sailors are invited to attend NZIODA clinics in the North and South Islands to further their sailing skills and learn more about racing from experienced Opti coaches from throughout New Zealand.
Being part of Green Fleet also marks the beginning of your racing journey at regattas held throughout New Zealand. The emphasis for Green Fleet sailors at these regattas is on having fun while allowing less experienced sailors the opportunity to sail and participate without their feeling the need, or burden, to sail in the more competitive Open or White Fleets. In the Green Fleet equipment used at regattas is not required to hold current measurement certificates (alters International Optimist Class Rule 2.4.1) but all hulls shall carry valid World Sailing plaques.
The criteria to race in Green Fleet at major Opti regattas
- It is unlikely that Green Fleet sailors will have sailed in an Optimist Open Fleet regatta of more than 40 boats.
- It is expected that Green Fleet Sailors will either be aged 12 years and under, OR in their first year of Optimist racing;
- It is expected that Green Fleet Sailors will have sailed for less than 2 seasons.
- It is expected that Green Fleet Sailors will have not previously raced outside of Green Fleet except at regattas where no Green Fleet racing was offered.
- On achieving a podium finish in Green Fleet at an NZIODA ranking regatta or the Sir Peter Blake Torbay regatta, or three or more podium finishes in other green fleet regattas, the sailor shall advance to the White or Open Fleet.