IODA Travelling Teams to Worlds, Euros and Asian and Oceanian Championships are chosen from your overall ranking for the season.
The NZIODA overall ranking is determined by ordering all sailors’ Ranking Scores from the lowest to the highest. The lowest score receives a ranking of 1, the next 2 and so on until all sailors have been ranked.
The NZIODA overall ranking score is calculated based on your placings in TWO NZIODA Ranking Regattas over the season.
These are made up of:
(1) 30% of your total ranking score comes from ONE NZIODA Ranking Regatta. For the 2023 / 24 season this will be EITHER The Auckland Champs or the Interislander Regatta (whichever score is lower). Please note a sailor can choose to sail in only one of these regattas and still receive a ranking.
(2) 70% of your total score comes from the NZIODA Toyota Optimist Nationals. The Nationals are held at Easter each year. See our events calendar for venue and dates.
If you placed 40th at the Interislander, 57th at the Auckland Champs and 20th at the Nationals then your NZIODA score would be:
(40 x 30%) from the Ranking Regatta + (20 x 70%) from the Nationals = 12 + 14 = 26 (Total Score)
This score is then ranked with all other sailors scores to provide the season’s ranking.
- If sailors have the same ranking score their place in the NZIODA Toyota Optimist National Championship is used to break the tie.
- If the NZIODA Toyota Optimist National Championship is cancelled for any reason then your sailor’s lowest ranking regatta score is used alone (either Auckland champs OR the Interislander)
- If one of the two Ranking Regattas other than Nationals is cancelled for any reason, then the NZIODA Toyota Optimist National Championship score is used alone.
- If one of the ranking regattas AND Nationals is cancelled for any reason then NZIODA will hold a separate selection trial.
All Development Teams are based entirely on the results of the NZIODA Toyota Optimist National Championship