The New Zealand International Optimist Dinghy Association (NZIODA) is the class’s national governing body for ‘Opti ’ Sailing in New Zealand. The International body is IODA and the Optimist is the largest one-design class internationally. The Opti provides an introduction to a great fleet of friends, coaches, clubs and options to have fun in boats.
NZIODA is a parent volunteer committee that assists in collaboration between sailors, coaches, clubs, suppliers and regulatory bodies. NZIODA offers a structure to ensure such a big fleet works together, helps each other and enjoys the start of a lifetime of sailing and learning. As we are such a big Opti fleet we benefit from a big bunch of sailings friends.
Membership of NZIODA offers a range of benefits:
- Access to regular email newsletter updates from NZIODA addressing up-coming events, tips and hints to improve skills, and regatta reviews
- Access to resources for all Fleets
- Eligibility to participate in NZIODA led Optimist training programmes
- Eligibility to participate at North and South Optimist Camps
- Eligibility to compete in Opti qualified NZIODA Championships
- Selection for NZ representation in overseas IODA convened regattas
- Voting rights at the Annual General Meeting
Membership fees are applied to assist in funding the following:
- Develop Sailor and Coaches Pathways to benefit of all New Zealand Opti sailors
- Develop materials to clubs and provide assistance to club coaches in evolving their Opti programmes
- Meeting costs associated with convening ranking regattas including Nationals as well as assisting with the provision of trophies and prizes
- Meeting surplus costs associated with other special events
- Administer the affairs of the Association including IODA entries in overseas regattas, compliance fees, insurance, website maintenance and class administrative costs
Please note: NZIODA aims to bolster funds through securing sponsorship. Our aim is to maintain reserves sufficient to aid in the ongoing development of the class in New Zealand.
Much of the hard work undertaken to create the opportunities provided by NZIODA is performed by a hard-working committee who generously donates their time.
The membership year operates from September 1, 2023 to August 31, 2024 and the fee is free for Learn to Race, $50 for Green Fleet and $100 for White and Open Fleet. Please note that registrations need to be received before the start of the season.
To renew your membership or join as a new member CLICK HERE.