NZIODA is the country member of the International Optimist Dinghy Association (IODA), which is the international body that groups national Optimist Associations in charge of the regulation and development of Optimist sailing in each country.
IODA is a member of the International Sailing Federation (ISAF), which is the world governing body for the sport of sailing, officially recognised by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
The NZIODA Constitution identifies amongst the objectives of the Association that the elected Committee will adhere to the NZIODA Vision, Values and Mission and NZIODA Objectives:
NZIODA vision and values are why is centred around NZIODA being a leading class association which is sustainably funded, transparent in its communications and able to provide continuous year on year development.
To keep the Optimist class affordable, easy to participate in and to establish a high quality centreboard pathway for sailors within a thriving community where its people can be the best they can.
NZIODA mission is centred around promoting and managing Optimist Sailing in New Zealand as a vehicle for developing both sailing and life skills by applying and upholding our values to all decisions and activities we undertake. NZIODA are focused on fostering activities that provide:
- Learning and Development
- Sense of inclusion to this community
NZIODA’s current objectives as of November 2019 are to pursue its financial objectives and secure the association financially. Explore more suitable development pathways for our sailors. Look to the way we can secure year on year continuity particularly coaching and sailor development.
The NZIODA Constitution identifies amongst the objectives of the Association that the elected Committee will:
- Maintain the one design character of the International Optimist Dinghy
- Co-ordinate and manage the affairs and rules of the class in New Zealand
- Encourage and co-ordinate sail training and competition in the class within New Zealand
- Conduct a New Zealand Championship each year which will be used as the basis for selection for New Zealand team selections to contest the International Optimist Dinghy Association Work Championship and may be used as the basis for selection for any New Zealand Team to content any other events.
The New Zealand National Championships are held at Easter each year in various locations in New Zealand.
NZIODA integrates the three strategic strands of Sailors pathway, Coaches pathway, Officials pathways.