It is with regret that the NZIODA committee has made the difficult decision NOT to send a team to the Qingdao Exchange to be held in August 2022.
This is due to the ongoing travel restrictions and entry requirements into China due to COVID19. We are aware that this will be very disappointing news for many of our young sailors.
What is the Qingdao Exchange?
This sailor exchange programme is now in its 6th year and forms a unique offering to our NZIODA members. Successful applicants four (4) from White Fleet and two (2) from Open Fleet will be offered the opportunity to travel to Qingdao as a team of 6 sailors with one coach and one manager. As guests of the Qingdao Administration Centre of Sailing Sport you will be offered complementary training camp, regatta, accommodation and meals.
The purpose of this programme includes:
- International travel experience for Intermediate level sailors
- Cultural exchange with sailors of other Nations (e. g China, Japan, Russia, South Africa, Poland, Germany, Singapore, Thailand, Australia, Spain)
- Development of regatta preparation and management skills in new environment (NOTE: Qingdao is typically extremely hot and humid in August)
- Learning to manage charter boat set-up and travelling with sailing equipment
- Sailors and parents learning to travel as a team under the guidance of a coach
Successful applicants will be responsible for flights to and from China, visas, travel insurance and coaching fees. This experience would best suit intermediate and Open Fleet sailors with an accompanying parent. Ask any past NZIODA exchange families and they will all agree this is one of the highlights of your time in the junior fleet.
To start preparing for 2023 please look at our dedicated web page here.
Best wishes from the NZ International Optimist Dinghy Association
- Are you following the NZIODA Facebook page?
- We are on the hunt for a new home for our OWNZ Boats – please contact us if you can help.
- Do you know someone who should be an NZIODA Life Member? Click here for more information. Nominations close 1st February 2022
- NZIODA Optimist Clinics 2021/2022 Season – open to all fleets
- Registrations for South Island Clinic now closed
- Registrations for North Island Clinic now closed
- NZIODA Ranking Regattas 2021/2022 Season
- Interislander Regatta, Picton 18th to 20th February 2022
- Optimist & Starling National Championships 16th to 19th April 2022
You must be logged in to post a comment.