During the recent (Feb 5 – Feb 7 2022) Auckland Champs Regatta hosted by Wakatere Boating Club the race committee used the Buoy Zone app to plan and set the courses. Buoy Zone is a very clever course management app designed by Alex Amsler and Rob Cleghorn, both Kiwi sailors and advocates for sailing as a sport.
Buoy Zone allows race officers to create a fully accurate course in the app, which is then shared with those in support boats who can use the app to navigate to where to drop the marks. It takes the guesswork out of where to drop marks for support boats and only takes a few minutes to lay a perfect course. A recent feature also shows all active courses overlaid on the map. This was particularly useful for the race officers during the recent regatta as there were often three or more active courses in close vicinity.
The user friendly app helps clubs run thousands of races every season with users and clubs now spread across 35 countries. NZIODA recommends all clubs use it because it simplifies race course management for race officers and support boats alike. Have a look at the video here on how to create a course with Buoy Zone.
Plan a 100% accurate course and once you’re ready, share with the support boats instantly via the Buoy Zone app. It’s that simple!
Find out more at: www.buoy.zone or download the app www.buoy.zone/share
Best wishes from the NZ International Optimist Dinghy Association
- Are you following the NZIODA Facebook page?
- We are on the hunt for a new home for our OWNZ Boats – please contact us if you can help.
- NZIODA Guides – we’ve got you covered on everything OPTI
- “It all starts here!” A Guide for New Optimist Parents
- Congratulations, You’re Representing New Zealand!
- NZIODA Optimist Clinics 2021/2022 Season – open to all fleets
- Registrations for South Island Clinic now closed
- Registrations for North Island Clinic now closed
- NZIODA Ranking Regatta 2021//2022 Season
- Click here to check out the NZIODA All you Need to Know About Planning & Entering NZIODA Ranking Regattas and Your 17 Step by Step Guide to Entering a Regatta for the 1st time
- Optimist & Starling National Championships 16th to 19th April 2022 – Registrations are opening soon