As previously advised NZL Team selection for the 2022 Asian and Oceanian Championships to be held in Yeosu, Korea from 29 April to 6 May 2022 will look a little different this coming season.
The NZIODA Committee will use the ranking list from the 2022 Interislander Regatta at QCYC from 18 to 20 February, 2022 as the main criteria for team selection. The reason behind this NZIODA decision is that the time schedule between Nationals and the team leaving to go to Korea is too tight.
NZIODA will then contact the top 30-ranked male sailors and the top 10 female sailors, and from this list, will select the top 10 highest-ranked sailors (7 of one gender and 3 of the other) who accept the invitation in a relatively short time frame.
Travel will be subject to Covid related travel restrictions being eased as currently foreseen (i.e. no MIQ) and also require a parent or guardian to attend with each sailor. Naturally this increases the financial commitment to families, with the total cost for both sailor and parent likely to be in the ballpark of $20,000. These costs include entry fees which are required to be paid by NZIODA prior to sailor selection and at this stage are non-refundable by the organising committee. It also comes with all of the inherent risks involved with travelling in a pandemic.
Due to the short time frame for acceptance, the added uncertainty of overseas travel, NZIODA’s commitment to paying entry fees and to streamline the selection process NZIODA are seeking feedback from sailors and their families who are aiming for a top 35 or better position in the open fleet.
Specifically, we would like to hear from you on whether you are likely to accept the offer or reject the offer and if so under what circumstances. This is also an opportunity to ask questions, so that should sailors be successful they are much better informed at the time of offers being made. Feedback is non-binding and regardless of individual feedback, offers will be made in accordance with the selection criteria.
Please provide your feedback or questions by filling in this google form no later than 31 January.
Thank you for your continued support and best wishes to all sailors vying for a position on one of the travelling teams.
- Are you following the NZIODA Facebook page?
- We are on the hunt for a new home for our OWNZ Boats – please contact us if you can help.
- Do you know someone who should be an NZIODA Life Member? Click here for more information. Nominations close 1st February 2022
- NZIODA Optimist Clinics 2021/2022 Season – open to all fleets
- Registrations for South Island Clinic now closed
- Registrations for North Island Clinic now closed
- NZIODA Ranking Regattas 2021/2022 Season
- Interislander Regatta, Picton 18th to 20th February 2022
- Optimist & Starling National Championships 16th to 19th April 2022