The 2021 NZIODA South Island Clinic was hosted by the Queen Charlotte Yacht Club in excellent conditions on the stunning waters of the Marlborough Sounds. 24 keen young sailors from as far afield as Auckland right down to Christchurch tackled a variety of winds from extremely light through to edge of your seat, in warm and shifty conditions.
Over three days these sailors worked on their fitness, built friendships, and developed their skills on the water in preparation for the upcoming ranking regattas. This year’s edition was led by head coaches Kim Buchanan and Kate Overend with supporting coaches David Buchanan and Will Hadfield.
Highlights included daily fitness training, inspiring presentations from the coaching panel, a destination sail to the beautiful Double Cove, and a final regatta to cap off the event.
Many thanks to the generous support from the OWNZ trust and Queen Charlotte Yacht Club as excellent hosts for making this year’s edition possible, particularly in view of the challenges faced in a global pandemic. With special thanks to Sarah Nicholl and Mel Ewart for all their hard work in organising this year’s clinic and ensuring its success.
Best wishes from the NZ International Optimist Dinghy Association,
- Are you following the NZIODA Facebook page?
- We are on the hunt for a new home for our OWNZ Boats – please contact us if you can help.
- Do you know someone who should be an NZIODA Life Member? Click here for more information. Nominations close 1st February 2022
- NZIODA Optimist Clinics 2021/2022 Season – open to all fleets
- Registrations for South Island Clinic now closed
- Registrations for North Island Clinic now closed
- NZIODA Ranking Regattas 2021/2022 Season
- Interislander Regatta, Picton 18th to 20th February 2022
- Optimist & Starling National Championships 16th to 19th April 2022