NZIODA are excited to announce the selection of the 2022 travelling team coaches.
After two years of not travelling due to the COVID 19 pandemic we hope that these coaches will get the opportunity to guide some of the best up and coming opti sailors as they travel overseas to test themselves against the best in the world.
The group is made up of an experienced group of coaches that have been a part of the coaching programme for the last two seasons but with two exciting additions.
Thomas Saunders who recently became the second kiwi to win a Laser Worlds is going to be coaching the Worlds Team made up of the top five ranked sailors.
Orestes Reyes is re-joining the programme coaching the Asians and Oceania’s Team. Orestes has had an extremely successful coaching career coaching the 2009 Optimist World Champion and many other successful teams.
The returning coaches include Kerensa Jennings who will be the second coach joining Orestes coaching the 10-sailor team heading over to South Korea in April. Kim Buchanan is again leading the Euros team made up of two boys and two girls that will head to Denmark in July.
In the Development Teams Wade Tresadern will coach the boys and Xanthe Copeland the Girls Team.
Sam Mackay will also be involved leading the coaching group and assisting Thomas with the Worlds team as Tom is likely to be overseas in the build up to the regatta.
Nearly all of the coaches will be at the upcoming North Island clinic 11th-14th of January at Wakatere Boating Club and this is a great chance to meet them all.
To check out the NZIODA Coaches Bios Click here.
We wish them all the best.
Best wishes from the NZ International Optimist Dinghy Association
- Are you following the NZIODA Facebook page?
- Do you know someone who should be an NZIODA Life Member? Click here for more information. Nominations close 1st February 2022
- NZIODA Optimist Clinics 2021/2022 Season – open to all fleets
- Registrations for South Island Clinic now closed
- Register for North Island Clinic now closed
- NZIODA Ranking Regattas 2021/2022 Season
- Interislander Regatta, Picton 18th to 20th February 2022
- Optimist & Starling National Championships 16th to 19th April 2022