As you will be aware the North Island Optimist Champs due to be held in Taupo were cancelled due to the continued Covid-19 restrictions. The cancellation followed the deferment of the 2020 regatta so that Worser Bay could hold the Nationals postponed from April 2020.
NZIODA together with Lake Taupo Yacht Club, Napier Sailing Club and New Plymouth Yacht Club have agreed that LTYC can host the Opti North Islands in 2022. The preliminary date is 4 to 6 November 2022. Please mark your diaries now. The world will hopefully be a different place by then.
In substitution of the Opti North Islands regatta Lake Taupo yacht Club hosted a one-day Sprint Regatta for those sailors able to travel outside their home region. Sailors attended from Napier, New Plymouth, Plimmerton, Paremata, Worser Bay, Tauranga and also Taupo. 51 boats including a number of Starlings attended.
All of the scheduled 6 races were completed on the day and the Race Management Team did a great job with variable winds from various directions in the early part of the day. The final 2 races were sailed in some more testing conditions an easterly breeze came in around 15-18 knots. This resulted in a number of capsizes in cool fresh water that is Lake Taupo in November.
There was a good turnout from the Green Fleet, many of whom were attending their first away regatta. It was great to see the various coaches from the Clubs attend with their sailors to encourage them to sail on different waters.
The Napier Sailing Club with Jed Potbury (1st), Jake Dickey (2nd) and Sebastian de Vos (3rd) took out the Open Fleet. The Green Fleet was taken out by Ethan Gard from TYPBC with Sophie Pedersen NSC 2nd and Vinnie Scott (3rd) TYPBC.
Thank you to all who attended and we hope to see everyone and more in November 2022. Results can be found here.
- Are you following the NZIODA Facebook page?
- Do you know someone who should be an NZIODA Life Member? Click here for more information. Nominations close 1st February 2022
- South Island Optimist Championship – Expression of Interests
Please complete this form by 30 November if you are interested.
- NZIODA Optimist Clinics 2021/2022 Season – open to all fleets
- Registrations for South Island Clinic now closed
- Register here for Auckland, 11th to 14th January 2022
- NZIODA Ranking Regattas 2021/2022 Season
- Interislander Regatta, Picton 18th to 20th February 2022
- Optimist & Starling National Championships 16th to 19th April 2022
COVID VACCINATION MANDATE – 2022 INTERISLANDER REGATTA
In accordance with the Governments traffic light system there will be a requirement for all sailors, officials, supporters and volunteers over 12 years of age to be double vaccinated when attending the 2022 Interislander Regatta at Queens Charlotte Yacht Club.