The NZIODA Committee have agreed the following representative rankings for the upcoming 2021/2022 season.
However, due to the ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic whilst writing this further decisions will be made regarding travel.
IODA World Championship 2022, Turkey
4th July to 14th July, 2022
Top 5 ranked sailors
IODA European Championship 2022, Denmark
Sonderborg Yacht Club
30th July to 6th August, 2022
Next 2 ranked boys and next 2 ranked girls the reason for this change is that the boys and the girls race separately.
IODA Asian & Oceanian Championship 2022, Korea
29th April to 6th May, 2022
Next 7 ranked of 1 gender and next 3 ranked of the other gender. Please note that selection for the IODA Asian & Oceanian Championship will be done after the Interislander Regatta in February 2022.
North American Championship
NZIODA isn’t always guaranteed a team at this event and with the reduction in sailors within the Open Fleet over the last few years, the NZIODA Committee have decided that they will not be participating in this regatta going forwards. We are aware that some sailors may be affected by this decision.
The criteria has also changed for Development Teams (Boys and Girls). This decision was made to get a balance on gender. The decision not to have an age limit is due to the fact that sailors start sailing Optimist at different ages (younger and older). The NZIODA Committee feel that this is a more balanced approach to Optimist Development Teams.
- Places will be offered from National Results alone
- There will no longer be any age restrictions
- Sailors who have been chosen for a team previously, but have not travelled for whatever reason, can be part of a development team if they qualify the following year
- If sailors qualify for an NZL travelling team, but would prefer to be in a development team they can choose this option
Next ranked 6 girls – Girls Development Team
Next ranked 6 boys – Boys Development Team
Please note that places on the NZL and Development Teams are open to NZ Citizens and Permanent Residents that meet the NZIODA Nationality requirements.
We will keep you informed of any changes.
- Are you following the NZIODA Facebook page?
- NZIODA Optimist Clinics 2021/2022 Season
- Picton, 19th to 21st December 2021 open to all fleets –
- Auckland, 11th to 14th January 2022 open to all fleets
- NZIODA Ranking Regattas 2021/2022 Season
- Interislander Regatta, Picton 18th to 20th February 2022
- Optimist & Starling National Championships 16th to 19th April 2022