We’re pretty proud of our green credentials here at NZIODA, and we strive to be as environmentally friendly as possible. That’s why we fully behind a fantastic new sustainability initiative from IODA.
The ROPE (Recycled Optimist Parts & Equipment) Program encourages Opti sailors worldwide to recycle and reuse optimist parts and equipment by sharing with their peers when and wherever possible.
The ROPE Program was launched at the North American Championship in Mexico in late May 2021. We’re jumping on board immediately, and we’ll be really going for it once NZIODA is able to send sailors to IODA Regattas. We will be in contact with those sailors nearer the time.
However, NZIODA believe that this initiative can be rolled out nationally with collections at both of our ranking regattas to help deserving clubs both here in NZ and overseas. So in the meantime start to explore the garage and start to collect your pre-loved equipment and we will be in touch prior to the NZIODA Ranking Regattas to let you know drop off areas.
Remember, schools and clubs globally are in dire need of this equipment, so let’s work together to give it a second life and ensure everything is put to great use. All donations will help young Opti sailors and open up opportunities to get more people out on the water.
So what can you give? Sails, foils, spars, bailers, lines, hardware like wind indicators, blocks – anything like that is ideal, but please make sure it’s all in good condition. But no clothing, please!
It’s a great initiative, and you can visit our IODA page to find out more.
- Are you following the NZIODA Facebook page?
- Junior Auckland Winter Sprint Series
- Saturday 19th June at Pt Chev NOR
- NZIODA Optimist Clinics 2021/2022 Season
- Auckland 11th to 14th January 2022 open to all fleets
- Picton, more details to follow
- NZIODA Ranking Regattas 2021/2022 Season
- Interislander Regatta, Picton 18th to 20th February 2021
- Toyota Optimist National Championship 16th to 19th April 2021
You must be logged in to post a comment.