It is with regret that the NZIODA committee has made the difficult decision NOT to send a team to the Qingdao Exchange to be held in August 2021.
This is due to the on-going situation that the world faces with the COVID 19 Pandemic. New Zealanders are currently being told not to travel overseas at this time. This advice from the government, as well as not being able to re-enter our country easily, an inability to get insurance for travel, and not being able to employ coaches to travel with teams, has made this decision necessary.
We are aware that this will be very disappointing news for many of our young sailors.
What is the Qingdao Exchange?
This sailor exchange programme is now in its 4th year and forms a unique offering to our NZIODA members. Successful applicants four (4) from White Fleet and two (2) from Open Fleet will be offered the opportunity to travel to Qingdao as a team of 6 sailors with one coach and one manager. As guests of the Qingdao Administration Centre of Sailing Sport you will be offered complementary training camp, regatta, accommodation and meals.
The purpose of this programme includes:
- International travel experience for Intermediate level sailors
- Cultural exchange with sailors of other Nations (e. g China, Japan, Russia, South Africa, Poland, Germany, Singapore, Thailand, Australia, Spain)
- Development of regatta preparation and management skills in new environment (NOTE: Qingdao is typically extremely hot and humid in August)
- Learning to manage charter boat set-up and travelling with sailing equipment
- Sailors and parents learning to travel as a team under the guidance of a coach
Successful applicants will be responsible for flights to and from China, visas, travel insurance and coaching fees.
This experience would best suit intermediate and Open Fleet sailors with an accompanying parent. Ask any past NZIODA exchange families and they will all agree this is one of the highlights of your time in the junior fleet.
To start preparing for 2022 please look at our dedicated web page.