6-8 March 2015
The Volvo Ocean Race (VOR) is expected to arrive in Auckland from Sanya, China between February 25th and March 5th 2015. With the leg to Itajai, Brazil starting on Sunday March 15th 2015.
On the weekend of Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th of March the VOR organisers are running an optimist based Team Racing clinic and a three day (Friday to Sunday) ISAF Team Racing Umpires Clinic.
The Volvo Ocean Race Academy goals include:
- Help to improve tomorrow’s sailing hero’s by developing sailing skills in a two day Team Racing clinic
- Integrate the Team racing sailors into the VOR
- Increase the level of umpiring.
VOR plan to involve the Academy participants with VOR yachts and teams.
Weather permitting the sailing will take place within the viaduct basin adjacent to the VOR village.
2 NZIODA Involvement
NZIODA are liaising with the VOR local organising committee to identify sailors and umpires who will benefit from the training and the experience. The event will involve 32 optimist sailors (8 teams of 4) and 8 to 12 umpires.
3 Invitation to Nominate Sailors
Clubs and regions are invited to nominate 4 current optimist sailors each to participate in this VOR Academy weekend. The nominated sailors will be allocated to the 8 teams to achieve balance in each of the eight teams.
Based on participation at the Manly Optimist National Championship the following groupings of clubs and regions have been decided on:
- Kohimarama Yacht Club.
- Wakatere Boating Club.
- Murrays Bay Sailing Club.
- Other Northland and Auckland yacht clubs.
- Central North Island yacht clubs (Tauranga, Napier, New Plymouth, Taupo, Hamilton).
- Wellington region yacht clubs (Worser Bay, Titahi Bay, Paremata, Kapiti, Muritai).
- Christchurch yacht clubs (Charteris Bay, Navel Point, Mount Pleasant).
- Rest of South Island (Queen Charlotte, Nelson, Timaru, North Otago, Macandrew Bay).
Clubs and regions may nominate additional sailors who will be invited to participle should other clubs or regions not nominate their full quota.
4 Conditions of Nomination
For a sailor to be nominated they shall:
- Have sailed in either the open or green fleet at the 2014 Manly Optimist National Championship.
- Intending to sail in open fleet at the 2015 Worser Bay Optimist National Championship.
- Have attended either the 2015 Eastern Beach or the 2014 Wainui clinics.
5 Organisation and Cost of Participation
The VOR Academy will supply fully equipped optimists and sails.
NZIODA is expected to supply and man race committee and support boats, supply umpire boats and man shore facilities.
Cost for the sailors to travel to and participate in this event will be at their cost.
Clubs and regions should have their nomination to NZIODA (by email to firstname.lastname@example.org) by Saturday 24th January 2015, being the first day of NZIODA Auckland Championship regatta.